Tip Tuesday: Dining Out is a Disaster! (Post 1/5)
Going out to eat with your kids
Do you ever get excited at the thought of going out to eat with your family only to at one point in the night say to your husband or think, “Why did I think this was a good idea?” Have you ever experienced a dining out where the adults at the table have to take turns eating while the other ones chase or entertain the child/children at the table? If the answers are yes, this month’s Tip Tuesday will provide some helpful strategies to try the next time you go out to eat with your child/children.
Our first tip is: Prepare!!!
We know going out to eat is sometimes a spur of the moment decision, but taking a couple minutes to prepare for the outing ahead of time can really save the day! Here are some things to consider:
- Bring their favorite snack while they wait for food
- Make sure the iPad is charged (and maybe with some new games or apps on them)
- Look at the menu ahead of time so you can order right away
- Stock up on toys, coloring, activities (from the dollar section at Target) and have them ready to be used while waiting for food
- Optimize seating arrangements by asking for booth seats or placed in the back of restaurant
- Make eating out a part of the routine. For example, every Friday is family pizza night at the restaurant. The structure is great for kids and the wait staff are less likely to get mad if your child is misbehaving if they have a personal connection with your family or at least know you are a frequent customer.